Thursday, August 21, 2014

Mark Your Calendars to Walk for Alzheimers

How the Alzheimer's Association of WNY is Making a Difference

John Asaro was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease about 18-months ago, after his children began questioning why he was repeating himself so often, and he started having serious problems with directions while driving. “We were actually relieved when we learned the diagnosis, because we finally knew what was wrong with him,” recalls John’s wife Eileen.



They were referred to the Alzheimer’s Association WNY Chapter by their nurse practitioner. “It was like the sun coming out after the rain,” says John. He and his wife have attended social programs, support groups and educational seminars. “The Chapter’s support groups are vital,“ says Eileen. “You share your pain and frustration and learn from each other, because with this disease, every day is different.”

For John, the Chapter is a refuge. “I am most comfortable around the friends I’ve made here because I can relate to them.” John is also an ardent “bell-ringer” trying to raise awareness about Alzheimer’s. “People are frightened and don’t know how to react because there are a lot of misconceptions about it. But I don’t hide it. I have a disease…I don’t eat children. I am trying to spread the word to others to see a doctor, and get help from the Chapter.”

Another WNY couple, George and Nancy Kessler remember how in 2009, out of the blue, George suddenly couldn’t recall the time or date. But it wasn’t until he passed out while driving several years later that his cognitive health was assessed, and he failed, indicating George had a form of dementia. Nancy witnessed her husband of 34 years change from a sharp-as-a-tack and happy man into a humorless person who went through periods of paranoia. George was fortunate, though, in that medication provided some help, and they were better able to cope once he and Nancy contacted the Alzheimer’s Association WNY Chapter.

“Education is essential,” says Nancy. “We have a great support system at the Chapter and they have some wonderful resources to help us, including support groups for caregivers, social programs for those with the disease, and educational seminars. We learned ‘the whys’ behind George’s changes in behavior and how to respond and adapt.”

A former salesman, George now appreciates the rapport he shares with others in the social programs. “Everything I do, like volunteering for different things, helps me, because I connect with people”.


John, Eileen, George and Nancy plan to take part in the Chapter’s Walk to End Alzheimer’s on September 20, 2014 in Delaware Park behind the Buffalo Zoo. The Walk is the Chapter’s major fundraiser of the year, and sustains programs like support groups and educational seminars. John says, “When the doctor told me I had Alzheimer’s, I thought my life would change drastically. But with the help of the wonderful people at the Chapter, I’ve learned to replace the things I can no longer do with things I can.”

Walks are also scheduled in Chautauqua and Orleans counties on September 6; Genesee and Niagara counties on September 27; and in Wyoming County on October 4. To learn more about Alzheimer’s disease and the Walk, visit www.alz.org/WNY or call 1.800.272.3900.



No comments:

Post a Comment