Thursday, July 3, 2014

Vets for Vets to Host 2nd Annual K.I.A. Memorial Road March

Buffalo, NY – Vets for Vets is hosting the second annual K.I.A. Memorial Road March on Saturday, August 23, 2014.  

The K.I.A. Memorial Road March is a 10K ruck march through Chestnut Ridge Park in Orchard Park, NY.  It is a fun and challenging way to remember those members of our armed forces who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country.

“Since my return from Iraq, I often think of Christopher Dill, my "Battle Buddy," as we say in the military,” stated March Executive Director Msg. Jason Jaskula, USA.  “He was killed in action in Iraq, and as I tried to think of a way to honor his memory, I realized that there was no single public event in Western New York to honor military members Killed in Action (K.I.A.) in the forefront.   That is the idea behind the K.I.A. Memorial Road March.”

To date there are 306 service members from Western New York that have been K.I.A. in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

Participants will march in one of four categories - Individual, Team (2 Marchers), Squad (4 Marchers) or Platoon (10 marchers) while carrying rucks filled with canned goods.  Participants will carry a minimum of 50 pounds of weight, depending on which category they march in.

Those unable to carry the amount of weight for their category are still encouraged to participate and march the route.  Organizers ask that they consider donating canned goods and march with an empty ruck.

Although designed with the military in mind, the March is open to all – current / retired military, first responders, civilians. 

The K.I.A. Memorial Road March raises funds to help support Veterans organizations in Western New York.  Post-event all canned goods will be donated to help Veterans in need.


For more information or to register please visit www.kiamemorialmarch.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment